Friday, July 23, 2010

"I AM NOT A BRAND! I AM A HUMAN BEING!"

I AM NOT AN ELEPHANT! I AM NOT AN ANIMAL! I AM A HUMAN BEING! I...AM...A MAN!

Anyone over the age of 20 years old, will most likely recognize this quote as being from The Elephant Man movie. I use this to demonstrate BRAND.

BRAND YOURSELF. CREATE YOUR BRAND. PERSONAL BRAND.
These are all phrases and brands themselves within the Social Media network, I have encountered since blogging and connecting with other bloggers.

What is Personal Brand? Where do I get it?
The easiest to understand that I have found - so far - is from The Personal Brand Wiki by Dan Schawbel.

 "Personal branding describes the process by which individuals and entrepreneurs differentiate themselves and stand out from a crowd

Process - Personal branding describes the process by which individuals and entrepreneurs differentiate themselves and stand out from a crowd"

AND
"Personal Branding consists of three elements:
  • Value Proposition: What do you stand for?
  • Differentiation: What makes you stand out?
  • Marketability: What makes you compelling?"
 His example of Donald Trump is understandable, as we all associate Donald Trump with how to get rich. He and others have been successful due to promoting their personal brands.


"I AM NOT A BRAND! I AM A HUMAN BEING!"
Are we required to choose one area of expertise and promote that to the world?
But... I am multifaceted. I have several areas of interest and many different topics of expertise.
I AM A WOMAN! - that is a huge Brand.

Do I need to pick one?

please continue reading ....





PICK ONE?
There are others that do not stick with one topic online, and promote different topics of interest.
One usually becomes favored or the KNOWN BRAND associated.  I have found bloggers with ' Cooking' being the main area of expertise, with published cookbooks and appearances on television, that also have blog sites promoting their photography or other hobbies and topics dear to their hearts.
Or the topics are related, such as  Dan Schawbel  all  under the Branding Category.

Dan Schawbel’s Specialties: (from his LinkedIN profile)

Personal Branding, Personal Branding Online, Social Media, Presentations, Graphic Design, Business Writing, Creation and Development of Marketing Material, Marketing Research, Business Plans, eMarketing, Six Sigma, Entrepreneurship, Relationship Networking 

All things he is good at professionally speaking. Possibly, he is a good cook as well. Maybe he loves collecting cuff links. We may never know, as this is not part of his BRAND. When we hear the name Dan Schawbel, we immediately associate with Personal Branding.  

After all  -  Dan Schawbel is recognized as a “personal branding guru” by The New York Times, is the Managing Partner of Millennial Branding, LLC, and the leading authority on personal branding.

AND ... he shows us  or as his blog states navigates to personal success with how to achieve our own Personal Brand.

Dilemma   - How to determine TOP talents and strengths that want to be known for?
 There are of course many blogs, websites, books, course, seminars and coaches that are only too eager to show me the way.  

I have studied many and many of those are compiled in this Book, plus more good stuff.
 
The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur by Mike Michalowicz


 
One point  shouts at me -
"The more customers you have and the more you do for them, the more you make. Right? Wrong. Without focusing on a specific product, service or method, you will dilute your ability to be a leader. Your path will be one of mediocrity. In this section you will learn the importance of absolute focus, and how to execute it in your business."

The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur Blog has an entry 
 - 55 Ways How To Find Your Hidden Talent

My favourite is -

12. Try Everything!

How To Find Your Talent: Try everything! Whatever your hidden talent is will shine through as you’ll be mediocre (or completely suck) at everything else. The trick is to quickly realize what you’re not good at.
Thanks To: Mike Ogilvie of Ignite Speed Networking

This I can do . And I am doing as I dabble in Cooking, Social Media, Book Reviews, Technical Support, Networking, Self Help, Happiness, Positive Psychology, Feminism, Growing Older & Motorcycles.

Oh ... and what am I known for? I find answers & always online. If I don't know the answer, I will find someone that does. How does that equate to  making money? At the moment I am not sure.

What is your Personal Brand? Do you believe that we need to focus on ONE topic, so as not to dilute our efforts?

Tweetback!

@darleenw

1 comment:

  1. "Are we required to choose one area of expertise and promote that to the world?
    But... I am multifaceted. I have several areas of interest and many different topics of expertise.
    I AM A WOMAN! - that is a huge Brand."

    Great thought! As Highwaylass I try and stick to motorcycling. But I also love photography and the blues...the best exponents of Personal Branding that I know are men, I wonder if this is another facet of multi-tasking vs singl-issue focus.....

    ReplyDelete